I first perfected this vegan muesli bar recipe after I had my daughter and was recovering from my birth. In addition to this, I had just started breastfeeding, and like any breastfeeding mom would tell you, I was STARVING all of the time. I found myself needing to keep the house filled with snacks – I had coconut yoghurt and fruit, nut mixes and my all time favourite – cliff bars. Unfortunately, this was all getting a little bit expensive. So I thought? Why not try make some more dishes from scratch (once I felt up to it of course).
Breastfeeding and pregnancy is a time of huge nutrition and energy demands, so it is extremely important to make sure your nutrition is on point. These are a vegan muesli bar – making them free of any animal products as well as egg free and dairy free (so great for allergies!).
Not only will these bars be great for pregnant or new moms, but there perfect for school lunches, a quick snack on the run or even great to prepare in advance to help you stay healthy!
Vegan Muesli Bar – Chocolate and Cranberry
Serves: 8 bars
- 1.5 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut chips
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup toasted almonds
- 2 heaped tablespoon cacao powder (or for something sweeter, try Cadbury Dairy Milk Drinking Chocolate – it’s also vegan)
- 1.5 cup rolled oats
- Process dates in the food processor until they resemble a ball/dough consistency
- In a large bowl, add together dates, coconut chips, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, almonds, oats
3. In the microwave (or a pan) mix together and heat up maple syrup, cacao and peanut butter. Pour over oat mixture until well coated.
4. Transfer mixture to a small pan/tray lined with baking paper. Press down until flattened – I used a rolling pin!
5. Place in the freezer overnight.
6. To serve, cut into 8 even bars. Keep fresh by storing In the freezer (I find this also helps them stick together the best!